Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day Thirteen: Day of rest??????

When I promised last Sunday that I was going to keep the Sabbath as God had directed, I totally forgot that we were going to have car wash for the Central High School Wrestling Boosters on Sunday. Do you suppose God would be offended if I observed the Sabbath on Memorial Day? It is a national holiday.

It has been a great day though. Good fun at church and a productive car wash for the wrestlers of Central High School.

Grant did a great job this morning discussing the myth of whether Christianity is still relevant. But it has started me wondering...maybe it is the relationship with Christ that is still relevant, but Christianity? I guess Christianity is the act of having a relationship with Christ, only then you have to be associated with Christians, and as a group, they are hard to take. When people say Christianity, we think about denominations and traditions and how we do this and you do that....the real issue gets lost in the differences. We all forget that this whole thing started because Christ died for us and we love Him.

The relevance is really about whether I am willing to allow God to be in charge and to believe that He has my best at heart. THAT is never irrelevant. It's easy to get all caught up in life and get disappointed that things haven't turned out like I want, and doubt that God (or Christianity)is relevant or even there. i don't think that I question whether what I believe is relevant, it is that I want to have a temper tantrum because it's not all about me. Jeremiah 29:11 says that God knows the plans He has for me, plans to prosper me and not to harm me, plans to give me a hope and a future. I don't think I doubt the relevance of God, I just can't see the end. It's like when I watch a football game and think because I saw the 3rd quarter, I know how it's going to end. Only He knows how and when it will end, and what I DO know is relevant - is that we win.

No comments:

Post a Comment